Directorate - Military Training and Cooperation
With an annual budget of approximately $17 million, which is allocated among 62 active MTCP member countries, the Program runs in-Canada and in-theatre courses, exercises, expert teams and delegations visits.
The following three pillars of training are conducted in Canada and abroad:
- Language training to facilitate communication and interoperability among international forces. MTCP offers English and French language classes as well as English language Train-the-Trainer courses at CF language schools in Borden, St-Jean, and Ottawa to approximately 475 officers each year.
- Professional development and Staff Courses to improve the professionalism of foreign armed forces. For example, the MTCP Junior Command and Staff Course (JCSC) in Aldershot, Nova Scotia, focuses principally on staff and communication skills, battle procedures, leadership, ethics, peace support operations, and other professional development topics.
- Peace support operations training to improve military and civilian participants’ capacity to undertake multi-lateral peace support operations. Such training provides candidates with the skills and knowledge to work in a multi-national peacekeeping headquarters and foster participants’ self-sufficiency in mounting peacekeeping operations.
In addition to courses in Canada, DMTC sponsors specific training and activities in other locations around the world. For instance, DMTC annually conducts the Caribbean Junior Command and Staff Course in Jamaica, and facilitates a number of peace support operations training conducted mainly in Africa and South America.
Also, the Directorate supports several supplemental projects such as:
- The establishment of the Staff and Language Training Centre in Kabul, Afghanistan (co-sponsored with CEFCOM)
- The Canadian Forces/Jamaican Defence Force Deployment Operations Engineer Training Exercise (Tropical Hammer 08) in Jamaica
- The Tactical Operations Staff Courses in Africa
- The Jamaica Military Aviation School
The Counter-Terrorism Operations Training in Jamaica, and the Naval Boarding Party Training for Carribean nations, both funded by the Counter-Terrorism Capacity Building Program of the Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade